Today was a good day for two reasons.
1. I enjoyed a much needed DIY facial after a hectic week, and
2. I did my nails (finally)
The fact that it’s the weekend and I got to sleep in may potentially have something to do with it too.
Today’s DIY facial magic is an all time favourite. It uses two really simple ingredients: honey and lemon.
In case you didn’t know, the goodness of honey does not lie solely in its decadent sweetness. It is also natures antibacterial and anti-inflammatory remedy.
How? This simple holy grail ingredient helps to remove impurities from the skin.
The second ingredient – lemon – is a natural exfoliator and skin brightener, and it’s great for your skin because it contains alpha hydroxy acids plus it’s loaded with vitamin C. AHA’s help to improve the condition of your skin with anti aging properties and vitamin C is important in the production of collagen in your skin.
That was a very watered down science lesson but you get the gist. This DIY facial will give you radiant, glowing and clear skin with continued use. Here’s how I enjoyed a comfortable facial at home:
1. Prepare your mask. Squeeze half a lemon into a bowl and add 2 tsp of honey to the mixture. Stir until your get a smooth consistency. It won’t be very thick.
2. I steamed my face by filling a large bowl with boiling water and holding my face above this with a towel covering to ensure the steam does not escape. This helps to open your pores so that your mask is more effective and can penetrate your skin easily.
3. Apply the mask to your face and leave on for 20-30min
4. Wash off the mask with warm water
5. Apply a moisturiser to your skin
You can skip the steaming part but always make sure you add the mask to a freshly cleansed face. You can use this mask morning or evening dependent on your routine before moisturising to get effective results.
As with anything, you do need to give this mask time to work. It doesn’t just work after a single application although you will see a difference in the look and feel of your skin.
This mask will help to:
- Alleviate any irritation/redness
- Brighten skin
- Remove any scarring over time
- Dry out any breakouts
- Even out skintone
My skin is looking really healthy and it feels amazing, very soft. I’ll be doing this facial 2-3 times a week to even out my skin tone.
So what are you waiting for? Get the girls together and get pampering!